License Requirements and Approved Courses
NOTE: State license renewal information is provided as a convenience only and is subject to change at any time. It is the ultimate responsibility of the individual to be sure that he or she is meeting continuing education requirements for each license and corresponding renewal period.
To view the courses that meet the license renewal requirements for your professional license, membership or certification, please click the "Click Here to View Courses" button.
Select license to view requirements:
|License * || |
License Renewal Information
|Is Regulated? ||Yes|
|Hours Required ||24|
|Units of Time ||PDH|
|Carryover Units Allowed ||12|
|Max Online Hours Allowed ||24||
|TN - Architectural and Engineering Examiners|
500 James Robertson Pkwy.
Nashville, TN 37243-1142
|Requirements Website ||http://www.state.tn.us/sos/rules/0120/0120-05.pdf|
|Completion Requirements |
24 PDH biennially based on date of initial licensure.
Of the 24 PDH, at least 13 PDH must be HSW related.
All 24 hours can be taken in online courses. The Tennessee State Board of Architectural and Engineering Examiners does not pre-approve continuing education courses or providers.
|Course of Study |
Types of Acceptable Continuing Education:
The Board will grant credit for only such continuing education activities that satisfy the following criteria:
- There is clear purpose and objective for each activity which will maintain, improve or expand skills and knowledge obtained prior to initial licensure or to develop new and relevant skills and knowledge.
- The content of each presentation is well organized and presented in a sequential manner.
- There is evidence of pre-planning.
- The presentation will be made by persons who are well qualified by education or experience.
Continuing education activities for which credit may be given by the Board include, but are not limited to the following:
- Successful completion or monitoring of college or university sponsored courses;
- Successful completion of courses which are awarded continuing education units (CEU’s);
- Attendance at seminars, tutorials, short courses, correspondence courses, televised courses or videotaped courses;
- Attendance at in-house programs sponsored by corporations or other organizations;
- Teaching or instructing as described in (a) through (d) above, unless teaching or instructing is the registrant’s regular employment;
- Authoring published papers, articles or books;
- Making presentations at technical meetings;
- Attendance at program presentations at related technical or professional meetings where program content is comprised of at least one (1) PDH.
All such activities as described in (a) through (h) above must be relevant to the practice of architecture, as determined by the Board and may include technical, ethical or managerial content.
Professional Development Hours of credit for qualifying courses successfully completed which offer semester hour, quarter hour, or CEU credit are as specified above. All other activities will be credited one PDH for each contact hour with the following exceptions:
- Monitoring of university or college courses will be credited at one-third (1/3) the above-stated conversion table.
- Teaching or instructing qualifying courses or seminars will be credited at twice the PDH’s earned by a participating student and may be claimed for credit only once.
- Authorship of papers, articles or books cannot be claimed until actually published. Credit earned will equal preparation time spent not to exceed twenty-five (25) PDH’s per publication.
- Correspondence course PDH’s may be considered acceptable to the Board, but the registrant shall submit, upon request, supporting documentation to demonstrate high quality course content.
Conversion from other units of continuing education to PDH’s is as follows:
- One (1) university semester hour of credit = 15 PDH
- One (1) university quarter hour of credit = 10 PDH
- One (1) Continuing Education Unit = 10 PDH
- One (1) hour acceptable professional development education = 1 PDH
|Proof of Completion |
A registrant seeking renewal shall complete the certification on the renewal form and indicate the number of PDH’s claimed for the renewal period. If applicable, the registrant shall also indicate the number of carryover PDH’s claimed for the renewal period. Upon completion of the certification, the registrant shall complete the renewal form and submit the appropriate fee.
Each registrant is responsible for maintaining records which may be used to support credits claimed.
Required records include but are not limited to the following:
- A log showing the type(s) of activity claimed, sponsoring organization, location, duration, instructor’s or speaker’s name and PDH credit(s) earned; and/or
- Attendance verification records in the form of completion certifications, signed attendance receipts, paid receipts, a copy of a listing of participants signed by a person in responsible charge or other documents supporting evidence of attendance.
Records must be maintained for a period of four (4) years and copies must be furnished to the Board for audit verification purposes within thirty (30) days of the Board’s request. A registrant failing to supply the requested records in a timely fashion will be deemed in noncompliance.