AEC Success: Time Management and Billable Hours
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Describe the basic concepts of time management and the importance of viewing time as a non-renewable resource
- Explain the importance of having a personal time investment strategy and be knowledgeable to employ this type of strategy in your life so you use your time on the most important things and live proactively versus reactively
- Define the concept of equanimity from a time management perspective and why aiming for balance in your life is not only outdated, it’s impossible
- Employ the seven tactics for scheduling your ideal week, using your time investment strategy and the concept of equanimity
- Describe how a time management strategy can apply to billable hours in a firm
Christian Knutson, P.E., PgMP, PMP, is a senior civil engineer and program management practitioner, adjunct professor, author and podcaster. His experience in infrastructure engineering, program delivery, facility management, leadership and international cooperation spans the globe with more than two decades in the military, civil service and the private sector and is shared routinely through his writings.
Over Knutson’s career, he’s developed core skills to effectively lead teams and organizations, negotiate on projects and programs, and achieve success on high-stake infrastructure projects for clients in the U.S., Europe and the Middle East.
Knutson is a U.S. Air Force civil engineer officer and holds an undergraduate degree in civil engineering from Michigan State University and a Masters, Business Administration from Colorado State University. You'll find his writings on LiquidPlanner.com Blog, The Engineering Career Coach and General Leadership websites. He is also the co-host of the popular Engineering Career Coach - cited by Forbes as one of the 15 most inspiring podcasts for professionals – and the Civil Engineering podcast. He currently lives near Cambridge, England.